Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Experience at the Zee Carnival 2009


Hi readers,


Yesterday, I had attended the Zee Carnival which as everyone is aware of, one of my idols Shah Rukh Khan was attending and also the beautiful Anushka Sharma.

I had come back from watching Billu Barber on Thursday night and decided with my friend to do an all-nighter. We didn't want to risk waking up late and not being able to meet Shah Rukh Khan. We started the all-nighter at 1am and it slowly crept to 4am, when I said I am going to have a shower, get ready, straighten my hair and then we will leave. It got to 5:30 am and I was ready and me and my friend decided to leave.

We waited ten minutes for the bus, in the chilling cold winds of London to go to Balham, where we would eat breakfast and have a coffee. We got to Balham at around 6:30am. We had breakfast and sat for a few minutes discussing about how nice it was that Shah Rukh was coming to the Zee Carnival despite his shoulder injury. By that time it was around 7am. So we decided to leave and catch the train from Balham to Kensington Olympia.

If it was not the weather that was kind to me, even the trains were being nasty to me. There were no trains going to Kensington Olympia at 7am and so we decided to go to Clapham Junction station, where hopefully there will be a train to take us there. We got on the train to Clapham Junction, which was bombarded with people in suits and getting ready to work. In fact, I felt special amongst these 'richer' people that I was going to have memories that were priceless and which dreams were being fulfilled.

We got to Clapham Junction at 7:10 am. How great...the next train to Kensington Olympia was not till 7:45. I was thinking to myself that may be me and my friend were rushing it a little. I kept saying that no one will be there and hopefully we will be there first. We were happy that we would probably be the first one's there to meet Shah Rukh Khan.

We killed our 35 minutes by discussing this and my friend reminded me that last year, SRKs European friends would be there before us and maybe again they would be there before us. I told my friend that it was possible and that were at least 50 of them watching Billu Barber only 9 hours ago and they were all staying in Earl's Court, which was only 5 minutes away from the venue. Plus, the other matter is that nothing surprises me when it comes to the positives of Shah Rukh Khan anymore!

So we hopped onto the train and got to Kensington Olympia. We got there around 8:15 am. The excitement of seeing Shah Rukh Khan was going through my mind. The fact that I got there a little earlier than expected to. Well, let me explain the show was going to start at 12pm and I thought 10am would be a great start and now that I was two hours early, it was beyond my happiness. In fact, I was confident that; fine I would have to wait for 4 hours but at least me and my friend would be the first people there.

Call this as a joke on God's part, in fact I always feel that God loves playing jokes on me. When I got there, I saw at the very least 30 people there. I looked at my friend and she told me that I should have got there at 6 like she had said and now we would stand no chance.

So basically, we waited for four hours, the wait was long and was really disturbing. Most people were not being considerate with each other, some ladies were flirting with the security guards (it did make me laugh) and most of all, some people had recognised me from either this blog or the writing that I do on other forums. I also met a Punjabi family that came form Derby to see SRK and it was so great to see how star-struck they were but also how respectful and considerate they were towards me and my friend. It was great as I got to talk to them and understand why they wanted to meet Shah Rukh Khan. Before the doors opened, I was positive that there were at least 200 people waiting to go in...there could have been more...my average height does not help to see far ahead in a crowd of people.

Cutting the long story short, we got inside and I ran to the autograph stage and for the first time, I think I ran the fastest I ever did, just remember I was competing with like 50 people to meet SRK and I knew that no matter what I had to meet him. So, I managed to get there in the first 20 people and was ready to meet my idol. We waited for another few hours...2:30pm was the scheduled time for SRK to arrive. In the meantime, we saw Anushka Sharma, didn't meet her personally because if I did then I would have lost my chance to meet SRK! I saw her from far and I was amazed by her beauty. In fact, I was exactly shocked with the way she was, her innocent look and pleasing personality made me a fan of hers already! I love her!

It got to the time SRK was going to arrive on the autograph stage and despite there being a delay (not SRKs fault) he came with a black suit on with black trousers. He wore his dark sunglasses and all I can say is he looked great. I could see teenage girls, mothers and middle-aged women to grandmothers going crazy for Shah Rukh! They were screaming and shouting 'Shah Rukh, you are sexy!' It was funny seeing that, as usual because SRK does get shy at such things. Not only women, but there were an equal amount of men, who could not hold their excitement at seeing a star with a normal attitude. A star who seemed human. This made some teenage boys and middle-aged men go to meet SRK!

We get to the main part and it I got to meet SRK, one on one conversation with the one and only King of Hindi Cinema. I walked on the stage and he smiled at me. I was actually quite shocked at that because I didn't expect a smile off him so soon. He shook my hand and he said let's take a picture. We took a picture, unfortunately I am not able to download it but once it is, I will post it on here. Back to SRK, he signed my Rab Ne CD, I gave him an envelope with a letter and he asked me what it was? I simply replied 'A gift' and I think he understood from there. I said that to him that I hope to be a big writer one day and if he could bless me, SRK simply replied 'InshAllah' and that in fact, it meant the world to me. It was highly emotional for me and I am sure you can understand what it means to me. He did something else for me but it was not exactly for me. I had to do something for someone else and I am glad that I got his wishes behind it too. This only made what would seem to some people an ordinary experience but for me it was and always will be an extraordinary meeting. I thanked him and he wished me a good life with his trademark smile!

I got off the stage and I was rather emotional from inside. I didn't show it on my face much but inside my heart I felt I had done something special and something that meant a lot to me. Maybe because today, I didn't meet him with just only 'me' in my mind but I met SRK with the fact that I wanted him to wish well for someone, which he did. Only I can and that other person can understand what that means. Maybe, this gesture I did for this other person would not be appreciated enough from their side. However, I appreciate SRK for being so considerate with not only his manners but with his time and caring nature. For that, this assures me that being inspired by SRK is not a wrong thing! Shah Rukh Khan, you rock!

Then we decided to to the live stage where Shah Rukh was going to perform with a huge audience. Literally, when he came, all of the people at the Zee Carnival had left their stalls to go and see him and see what he had to say. Once he was on the live stage, there were screaming, shouting and eyes of admiration looking at SRK. He spoke about his shoulder injury and about Billu. What surprised me even more is that despite his injury, he danced a few steps to 'Love Mera Hit Hit' and this really meant a lot to me. Why? The fact is, that he did this despite having an injury and did it with a smile. This guy has to be very genuine because he was signing autographs and posing for photographs for around 45 minutes and then performing on stage, it is not easy. He never mind his injury felt to other people and this is why I find him to be a special gem for Hindi Cinema. For those that think he is not genuine and probably puts on a act, yesterday proved that he is not an act, he is genuinely an honest and happy person. He loves seeing other people smile!

I went around and signed up for Whistling Wood School for Screenwriting and Acting...what do you guys think? Should I go for it?

Then we got to meet the beautiful and stunning Anushka Sharma. When I met her, she was sweet and bubbly and even had a conversation with me. We posed for a photograph and even though I am smaller than her in height (but honestly, she was wearing heels), I didn't feel uncomfortable. We spoke about how I found her amazing in Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and she thanked me. I told her that she was my favourite debut actress of all time and again, she smiled innocently and replied a thank you. I must say, she is now one of my favourite actresses and I absolutely love her!

Me and my friend decided that we would see how it's like to be behind the barriers and to watch SRK directly converse with his fans. We did just that, we watched how SRK smiled and conversed happily with each and every person. It was such a beautiful atmosphere. Then Lara Dutta and Irrfan Khan, once again joined SRK on stage and signed a few autographs. They decided to come around and meet all the people around the barriers. Lara was stunning and beautiful and I told her I loved her in Billu Barber and she said thank you. Irrfan is a sweet guy, you can tell he has a good heart. I told him that I enjoyed watching him in Billu and that I am a fan of his work. he shook my hand and said 'Thank you' and continued on to meet everyone else. SRK came around and I believe he noticed me and smiled and put his hand forward and I shook his hand. It was an amazing experience.

To conclude the day, although it was tiring and I came back with a bad back pain due to the cold and chilly weather, I came out with warm and honest memories that I would remember for the rest of my life. The warmth that each star gave was enough to show that they are normal people with normal emotions.

Most of all, since I had gone to meet SRK, I came out thanking him for being so considerate to me and everyone else. He is a true King to the Film Industry and I pray to Allah, that SRK sees more and more success in life. I pray to Allah that may SRK have everlasting happiness and that he can continue to change people's lives with his excellent and honest life! He is not just an Indian, he is a citizen of the world and this is proved with the Zee Carnival. Shah Rukh, thank you, thank you and thank you very much for being there for us in London and I know it caused a lot of pain due to your shoulder but thanks for not showing us that pain. I have heard that true and honest people, who love others; whenever they meet other people and they smile, that they forget their pain. You smiled with everyone and that proves to me that you forgot about your pain and your truthfully and honestly smiled at each one of us that met you yesterday! Thanks Shah Rukh!

Thank you for reading all of this and I really do appreciate it. I know it is long but I am sure you will read this and it will leave you a smile on your face.

Lots of love,
Rahul N. Singh

Copyright © Chronicles of a Creative Writer. 2008 Rahul N. Singh. All Rights Reserved.