Saturday, April 11, 2009

Preview for Nazar - The Evil Eye

Hi everyone

As promised here is the preview to the new novel that I am writing at the moment. Please read it and if you wish, please give your comments to it. It is the unedited version so it will not be as polished up as it will be. Here you go and may everyone have a Happy Easter!

The enclosed darkness welcomed me as I opened my fatigued eyes. I could not see one shed of light, not one strand of light was seen anywhere. I lifted my arm to know what was in front of me. It was something wooden, I could sense it was wood due to the feel of the grain. I was finding it hard to breath, my each breath was getting shorter and shorter, I could not see anything and this was affecting my mind. I kicked, what seemed to be a coffin, my knee banged on the lid of the coffin without any success. I tried to hear anything from the outside of this wooden box. I could hear voices but it was not English, my mind could not comprehend the mystical words...they seemed mystical to me. Why was I in this box? What horrible crime did I commit? Did I commit a crime? Was I someone that was at a place at the wrong time? How did I get in this box? My eyes were looking around, from left to right, from up to down and I could not see anything that gave a hint on what to do. I decided that I had enough and started knocking on the lid of the coffin. I could feel the vibration of pain run through my hand as I kept knocking. I felt something was missing, I was not doing something. I was excessively involved within my thoughts that I had forgotten to shout out for help.
I knocked on the lid with great force of strength. 'Get me out of here!' I shouted. I could hear some bustling of action from outside. I could hear the sounds of 'Shh!' a fair few times. For God's sake, I didn't know what to do. Should I knock again? Why was I scared about knocking again, I had their attention now. I knocked again but without saying anything. There was silence. The voices had stopped. Was I imagining all these voices? I was positive that I heard voices, I even heard the sounds of 'Shh'.
I could hear something. It was the sounds of footsteps. These footsteps were different. The footsteps spoke of authority. I could feel the energy coming from the footsteps until they stopped. There was silence for a few seconds. The sound of swift but rigid movement of footsteps all approaching around the coffin. Again, there was silence for a few seconds. I was finding it even more difficult to break. I felt like I was about to lose consciousness. My eyes started to feel heavy as the air around me was becoming airless. The darkness began to suck out my life's energy. My eyes started to look up, my thoughts were becoming a distant memory for me. My feelings were losing their awareness, even as I heard a huge bang of solid metal. My eyes started to feel the acceptance of darkness, when suddenly the lid of the coffin was lifted and thrown away. The luminous light was too much for my eyes as they squinted. I gasped for the fresh air. My hand reaching out for someone to grab me. All of a sudden, I felt a huge hand pick me up as if I was an action man doll and threw me as I hit my head on the solid, concrete wall. I tried to open my eyes but I fell into deep unconsciousness.

Thank you for reading!
Lots of love,
Rahul N. Singh

Copyright © Chronicles of a Creative Writer. 2008-2009 Rahul N. Singh. All Rights Reserved.