Sunday, April 6, 2008

Temporary name, clichés and is it my real love story?

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all having an enjoyable weekend but what a weekend it has been! I mean weather wise! A hot sunny day on Saturday and cold snowy day on Sunday! Typical British weather!

The temporary name for my novel is 'Love is Complicated.'
First of all, I had a Facebook comment about the preview of Love is Complicated and that I should avoid using clichés. So I decided it was best that I gave you a definition from Wikipedia.

"Cliché" applies also to almost any situation, plot device, subject, characterization, figure of speech, or object—in short, any sign—that has become overly familiar or commonplace. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clich%C3%A9)

Is Love is Complicated full of clichés?
I feel that people find the theme of love is the cliche. Love is common and most stories, films, plays and poems contain some type of love.
Love is Complicated is exploring the path of true love. Not by just one character but by all three; Rahul, Naina and Nikhil. However Rahul is the main protaganist. So I am using the theme of love, which is a big cliché itself.
If you are still not satisified with my answer. Then imagine a sci-fi film or book without aliens, monstors or flying cars-they are clichés of the sci-fi genre.


What are my aims for this novel?
Love is Complicated isn't claiming to be a new, refreshing love story. I will let you decide if it is!The style of writing I am using is different and I am looking at aspects of a love story in a different way. It is more about the journey of the three characters.

This novel is for entertainment. It is like a film. You go to watch a film because it is for entertainment. You want to get away from the stress of everyday life and just relax for a few moments. That is what I am trying to achieve. My novel is like a film without pictures, just words.


A friend of mine said that my novel is more of a script than a novel. I still believe it is a novel. Most writers talk about the setting for example, where the bed is in the room, where the light switch is in the room, what the garden looks like etc. I am not interested in that, it isn't important. The feelings of my characters are important and I make those feelings clear for the reader.

Is this my real love story?
This is the best question I have been asked. I like to thank everyone who have asked me that. It means that Love is Complicated is more realistic than fantasy. Unfortunately readers, it is NOT my own love story. Sorry! It is pure fiction. I do believe in true love and that is what I am writing about.

That is my update for today. I look forward to writing another post on Tuesday night. I am happy with the response I have got so far from you all. Thanks everyone!

Please comment on any questions you have on this post below.

Love,
Rahul