Thursday, September 18, 2008

Decisions leads to consequences! Part Two-Writer's perspective.

Hello Readers,
I hope all is well with you! It feels so good to be back on the blog...I hope you all enjoyed the personal view on 'Decisions leads to consequences.' Before I get into that, I hope that the SRK fans are all happy since the Badshaah of Bollywood is back in the media and is also at his humour best! It is good to see him smiling despite all the recent problems he has had. So that reminds me...yes the next OffBeat Fun topic is dedicated to the recent controversies that have plagued Bollywood. How ironic is it that all the interesting ones...all have SRK involved?!

Today's topic is about the writer's perspective on 'Decisions leads to consequences.' I will discuss how this one line has an effect on my novel 'Love is Complicated'. While writing this story, there has been many of times when I have sat there thinking, if this happens then this will be affected, if that happens then that will be affected. As I mentioned before this particular story...the characters drive the plot. I do not have a plot, I know what I want at the end of a chapter or at the end of the story but I allow the characters to take it there.

There are certain instances which I can discuss on here as it is in the preview. First one is Rahul's decision to sacrifice. While I wrote that particular decision, I thought about the effects it would have on the whole story. I thought about whether Rahul would be able to keep it up? Would Rahul eventually give up on his true love? Is Naina his true love IF they end up not being together? If they do not get together, then how do I explain that? If they do get together, how do I explain that? These are some of the thoughts that I went through while I wrote about the decision of Rahul's sacrifice.

The other one that is rather hidden in the story but is obvious when you look in the lines. Naina has a lot of feelings hidden inside of her. I know my readers get shocked when I say the strongest character is Naina but there is a reason behind it. In the preview, we can see how much her body, mind and heart is into Rahul. We can feel there is a lot of chemistry between the two yet the one question that is in my mind and yours...WHY are they not together? Why does Naina choose Nikhil over Rahul? The fact is Naina is a girl that is confused about her feelings for Rahul but she becomes a woman that knows what she wants! However, does it become too late for her?

As a writer, I thought about what is the best way to end a sacrifice. At first, I wrote the end of the story and thought that I was content with it. However, suddenly I felt the sacrifice was still incomplete...so I thought maybe I could have a sequel? Or I could end it? End it with what though? Only one answer kept coming to my mind...only one solution...only one possibility and that was Death. The only thing that can end a sacrifice is Death!

As I thought about it, who do I kill off? Do I kill Nikhil...leaving the door open for Naina and Rahul to get together? Do I kill Naina... and end all the relationships that are possible, Nikhil and Naina's relationship ends and the possibility of Rahul and Naina getting together ends too? Or do I kill Rahul, which ends the prospect of him and Naina getting together? Whichever character I kill off, the sacrifice will be justified.

Back to the question, do I have a plan for a sequel or do I end the story with a death? I have already made that decision. I guess you all need to wait till it is published to find out what I have decided!
Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to writing to you all again!

Take care and lots of love,
Rahul N. Singh