Tuesday, June 17, 2008

'Love is Complicated' is character driven.

Hello Readers,

I hope that all of you are well and happy. It is so great to be back on the blog. Although I had planned an OffBeat Fun topic, I decided to leave that for another date, possibly the start of next week.

First of all, I have chosen five people to read the first draft of 'Love is Complicated' which is great news. Obviously, they answered the questions that were required brilliantly. Those that did e-mail me to be part of the five but didn't get chosen, thanks for applying. Maybe for my next project, you may be chosen. Although I promise you, if my novel is published I will give you a signed copy personally!

So lets get into the topic of the post. I have read some novels and I know alot of authors who write novels that tend to be plot-driven in their approach. Which as you know means, that these authors guide the plot to make their story complete.

My novel is different, with 'Love is Complicated' it is character-driven. I personally believe that only the character makes the story. As we know Rahul makes the story. The sacrifice, love, faith and the past, present and future are what the character decides, they guide the plot to their story instead of the plot guiding the characters.

Now I do hope with my future novels that I am able to continue writing stories which are character-driven as I find them interesting for myself and from what I know, all of you have enjoyed this concept so far.

Now the fact is how do I make the novel character-driven? What process do I need to go through to do it. It is quite obvious, I have to become the character. You only know how Rahul feels because I feel it, you only know how Naina feels because I feel it and you only know how Nikhil feels because I feel it. It is fairly simple, I have to become the character, otherwise the novel would be going no where and most likely it would have turned out to be a plot-driven novel.

At times, I do lose myself into the characters, it happens. The matter is, I have to get out of it and it is not as easy as it seems. But that should be a post for another time.

Well, that is it for now. It is fairly simple and shortish. I hope you enjoyed reading it and please...please...please give me comments so I know how you feel after each post. If you don't know how to post a comment, click here. On that page just go where the heading is 'Comments'. Have a good week and I am looking forward to some comments!

Thanks for reading and lots of love,

Rahul N. Singh