Saturday, June 21, 2008

OffBeat Fun: Ram Gopal Varma ki Chai(Tea)!

Hi OffBeat Fun readers,

Hope all is well with you and I hope that all of you have read my previous post which was about how 'Love is Complicated' is a character-driven novel. My week has gone really well. I have found another thing I love and that is the choreography to Satrangi Re from Dil Se. Maybe that will be another OffBeat topic one day!

The new OffBeat Fun topic is more of a review of Sarkar Rani, sorry Sarkar Raj! You will see why I say Sarkar Rani later on. However the question is has Ram Gopal Varma (RGV) lost the plot? The original Sarkar was his best film of late in terms of box office success and critical acclaim. However, we have seen RGV give us flops like Nishabd, RGV Ki Aag and Darling and that was all in ONE year!

RGV literally got any review that said something negative about the film and wrote comments about it on his blog! Now, the question is why am I attacking RGV? Well, he is the first director I know that has made a review of reviews! Yes! I am telling the truth! He certainly has, I mean I knew that the failure of Aag got to his head but seriously a review of reviews. RGV Sarkar Ra...j and criticised it. He even personally criticised the critics themselves. I guess RGV wont be a 'Darling' for the critics anymore! Also the fact that you can't look beyond the Bachchans just shows you are a star-struck director, who will never move on and do a brilliant film! If you can, then prove me wrong!

Back to Sarkar Rani...it was a film with bad editing, t
errible camera-work, shoddy screenplay, too many close-ups of Aish's wooden face, Abhishek's one angry young man expression and Big B doing the best with giving a few expressions. The other thing I did not like was how dark the film was. There was not much light in the film and at times there was a need to squint my eyes to make who was on the screen.

Another reason why RGV has lost the plot. I will quote what he said: 'But when she emoted as Anita, I was shocked. She's a truly intense actress. She understood the nuances of Anita's character completely. I was taken aback. Her intensity matches her beauty, which says a lot.' Personally I don't understand this. I watched the movie and laughed when Aish cried. I have to point this out but she didn't know how to cry. Also she had the same expression throughout the film and was not convincing at all. I strongly do recommend Aish some acting lessons. Forget acting lessons, do a whole crash course on how to act! So when I look at what RGV says I don't really believe it and he did the same thing about Big B with RGV Ki Aag, so I guess I should have known better! If Ramu, Bollywood ka mamu over-exaggerates a performance just like the above example, you know from there that the actor has done a terrible job!

Also as we know that Abhishek's wife dies in the movie and you know you expect the guy to take his time mourning his wife's death. Well, doesn't Abhi's character do the expected? Yes, he makes a move on Aish! I was like what the fish is going on here? This guy has lost his wife and now is in love with Aish. There was no chemistry between the two either! Absolutely terrible storyline there! RGV what was you thinking?!

Most of all, the one thing that RGV did with Sarkar Rani was that in this film there was no moment of Nishabd (silence), well all the time you heard the chant of 'Govinda' actually at the end of the film all I had in my head was Govinda (not the actor)! Well done RGV, you left us Nishabd with shock. You seriously made everyone go mad with the Govinda chant. I don't understand why Govinda was mentioned, I expected the actor Govinda to come...I was totally let down, he didn't come. I am sure the film would have done better with him in there!

Now the main climax of this post goes with the climax of the film. What the hell was with the climax of the film RGV? I mean, come on having Aishwarya ordering 'Ek cup chai' what was you thinking? It totally wrecked the film! I hope you do not make her the Sarkar unless you already have! She is terrible and no way can she have the intensity that Big B or Abhi possess. When she said that dialogue I felt cheated. I came to watch Sarkar Raj and came out with Sarkar Rani! Now you may have a film called RGV ki Aag...if you make a sequel to Sarkar Rani...then you should call it RGV KI Chai!

Right that is it readers. All I am going to say is that I hope you enjoyed the OffBeat topic and please take it with humour! It is not to be taken seriously, it is just a little joke and take it like one! Anyway please give me your comments on this! If you loved it then please tell me you loved it! If you hated it then please tell me you hated it! Only joking...tell me what you think of Ram Gopal Varma or your views on Sarkar Raj!
Take care and lots of love,
Rahul N. Singh