Saturday, July 5, 2008

OffBeat Fun: Bollywood's 6 months of grief!


Hello everyone!

Hope you all enjoyed the post on ShahRukh Khan...I know it was such a huge hit with you all. It is good to know where a part of my inspiration comes from.

The post today is simple. I am looking at the main Bollywood films that were released in January till June. Considering last year had the commercial and critical success of Chak De India, Om Shanti Om, Taare Zameen Par, Guru! So for the Industry it has been really bad. A string of flops has not helped this first half of the year and it only gives the second half of the year alot more pressure in terms of success. So here is a mini-review on the first half of the year.

The Good.
Well...some of you might be thinking...what is good about what we have seen this year?! Well, for me there have been a few good movies. Black and White...excellent movie. I totally loved the way the debutant Anurag Sinha carried out his character. This guy had power in his voice. It should have been a hit. I am shocked that the Indian audiences didn't appreciate such a film. Maybe they want more brainless flicks like Welcome!

The other good ones that I liked was Race. Saif is a very consistent actor and deserved the praise for this film. I would say that this was a polished up version of Dhoom 2!
Bhootnath! I am really amazed how the public did not like this Amitabh Bachchan-starrer film. Also it had SRK in a special appearance. No matter what box office says...Bhootnath deserved to be a hit but obviously the audiences prefer films like Bhool Bhulaiya.

I have not seen Jannat yet but from what I hear it is good and the other one I liked was Thoda Pyar Thoda Magic. I am upset that this is likely to become a flop but lets be honest..the audiences have failed to recognise a few good films this year. Rani was excellent in this film and the kids were simple...normal kids.

The over-hyped!
This will not be hard for some people to guess. Jodhaa-Akbar! Please tell me what is so good in those 4 hours? This film was a total snooze-fest! It was far too long, the history was not accurate. The performances by both leads were not great at all, you expect better from Hrithik who is claimed to be the next superstar after SRK. If people say that Hrithik has improved his acting with this film then SRK must have increased ten-fold in the past few years! But back to the film...I left the theatres with one question which one was playing Jodhaa? Also the next time I watch the film I will tank myself on 20 Red Bulls and possibly a packet of Pro-Plus to go with it!

Tashan...I am shocked that an Akshay Kumar film flopped! I mean...no way! Shock! This is terrible! Well it is about time that people realise that Akki is nothing more than an entertainer! He is an excellent entertainer but not good as an actor. To be King...he will need to improve his acting. The whole film was terrible...Saif was OK but was put to the side in the second half. Kareena was just too good in the bikini! Anil was funny again he was the saving grace for the film. I won't be watching this film again but seriously it has no tashan(style) in quality.

Sarkar Raj...my views on this is known on the blog. I will skip every scene Aishwarya Rai is in! RGV needs to check the editing of the film and get rid of the silly camera angles. Also...stop ruining the climaxes!

The conclusion.
So this year I look at it and think nothing is great. To be honest SRKs item number in Krazzy 4 is better than some of the films that have come out this half of the year. Bollywood needs to do some improving for the second half of the year!

Well it is obvious Bollywood is nothing without Shah Rukh Khan or Aamir Khan who always give the best films of the year. Aamir has Ghajini and SRK has Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi! So will these to films make up for the huge loss that Bollywood has made so far? It may be so! So as far as I know...Bollywood needs these two Khans! It looks like for me that these two Khans will be here to stay! Let's see at the end of this year...

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed this! It is a little serious topic but with a little bit of fun! So please do take this with humour! Take care all and I will write to you all as soon as possible!

Lots of love,
Rahul N. Singh